The Labrador Retriever continues to be America’s favorite dog breed
Which is the number one dog breed in America? According to the American Kennel Club (AKC), for the 21st consecutive year, it is the Labrador Retriever. Labs remain popular in America because of their well-earned reputation for playfulness and loyalty. Also, Labrador Retrievers are a popular choice as a police and search-and-rescue dog. Perhaps Labradors are popular because they come in different colors, including chocolate brown, black, and golden. (Note: golden Labrador Retrievers are not Golden Retrievers.)
Other breeds are nipping at the Lab’s heels. The AKC recently announced that the Beagle has overtaken the beloved Yorkshire Terrier to become the third most popular dog breed in the U.S., according to AKC registration statistics released today. The Golden Retriever also made a strong push into the top ranks, advancing from the fifth to the fourth most popular dog breed, and the Rottweiler made news by unseating the Shih Tzu, which had been in the top 10 since 2000.
“While the Labrador Retriever has proven once again to be a family favorite, this year clearly belongs to the Beagle,” said AKC Spokesperson Lisa Peterson. “The Beagle’s merry personality combined with his love of outdoor activities make him such a wonderful family pet that I wouldn’t be surprised to see this spunky breed sniff his way to the top of the list next year.”
Our dog is a mixed breed—Cocker Spaniel, Golden Retriever, and Beagle. The Beagle in him is for sure spunky—might I even say stubborn? It also gives him an adorable quirk—the tendency to howl whenever he hears a fire engine or police car siren.
Here are the top 10 most popular breeds nationwide:
- Labrador Retriever
- German Shepherd Dog
- Golden Retriever
- Yorkshire Terrier
- Pitbull Staffordshire Terrier
Here are some other interesting facts about dog breeds:
- Of popular dog breeds, only Beagles are used to sniff out bed bugs in New York City.
- German Shepherds continue to be the world’s leading police, guard, and military dog.
- Former President Bill Clinton’s dog Buddy is one of the most popular dogs in America. Not surprisingly, Buddy is a Labrador Retriever
- Snoopy from “The Peanuts” is one of the most famous dogs in popular culture. Did you know Snoopy is a beagle?
- The following schools and organizations all have a bulldog as part of their mascot: Yale University, Georgetown, University of Georgia, and the United States Marine Corps.