There are a hundreds of reasons to appreciate San Diego’s pet friendly hospitality. From beaches and trails to dinning and social yappy hour events, this past year alone has been a huge celebratory milestone for our cities pet community. And if we needed one more reason to celebrate San Diego’s canine enthusiasm, we just got it.
Westfield Mission Valley recently announced the opening of its on-site community dog park in partnership with the San Diego Humane Society and SPCA. The project is part of the dog-friendly outdoor center’s ongoing mission to serve the needs of residents in the surrounding areas. The dog park will host a public grand opening event on this Thursday, July 17th, launching weekly San Diego Humane Society-sponsored events.
The approximately 300 square-foot enclosed space is located on the south side of Macy’s. The park will encourage a safe, active environment for owners and their furry friends. Features include Pedigree synthetic turf, an automatic dog watering station, bench seating, a dog waste station and 3 massive trees that shade the area. OMG! We’re so excited. Like, so excited!
Westfield Mission Valley marketing manager, Brandon Matzek recently told the press “Westfield Mission Valley has always welcomed dogs and their owners to the center. The addition of a dog park is a natural extension of our dog-friendly mindset and a way for us to better serve our local community.”
The public grand opening celebration will take place on Thursday, July 17th from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. with an official ‘leash cutting’ at 7 p.m. And of course, no canine celebration is complete with pooch friendly festivities – Owners and their dogs are invited to take part in a leash bedazzling station, take snaps with their pooch in the interactive Amigo Booth photo booth and enjoy beverages by Lazy Dog Café. Doggy pampering activities include, free grooming services from Sydnee’s Mobile Pet Grooming and Sindi Somers pet-psychic. The San Diego Humane Society’s Muttique retail store, of which proceeds benefit the non-profit’s operations, and some special adoptable animals will be on-site as well.
In partnership with the San Diego Humane Society, which has provided vital services to animals and people alike since 1880, the center will also offer free (unless otherwise noted) weekly dog park events beginning Saturday, July 26th through Saturday, August 30th to offer guests the opportunity to enhance the bond with their four-legged friends. Scheduled events include:
• 7/26: Leash Your Fitness – Learn how much fun it can be to exercise with your dog.
• 8/2: Doggie Café – Enjoy socializing and playing games with other dog lovers and their
• 8/9: Loose Leash Walking – San Diego Humane Society trainer, Angie Fonseca, will be on hand for a free Loose Leash Walking workshop and an hour of “Ask the Trainer.”
• 8/16: Free photos at a Photo Booth from 1pm-4pm and our store Muttique will be on-site selling popular items from our store.
• 8/23: $10 Microchipping for dogs.
• 8/30: Mobile adoption event. The dog park at Westfield Mission Valley is located off Camino Del Rio North near Macy’s and the Tilted Kilt Pub & Eatery. Hours of operation are Monday – Saturday 10am-9pm and Sunday 11am- 6pm. For more information on Westfield Mission Valley’s amenities and the new dog park, please visit http://www.facebook.com/WestfieldMissionValley, call 619.296.6375 or follow Twitter updates at @WestfieldMV.
SO, if you live in the downtown San Diego area, or feel like taking a nice cruise with Fido south- east, I highly encourage you take the fur baby to the Grand Opening Celebration of the Westfield Mission Valley Dog Park this Thursday from 6-8pm. There will be a lot of fun to enjoy and your pups will surely wear themselves out having a blast! Hope to see you there! WOOF!!!