Recently, this recipe popped up on my newsfeed. For a dog treat, these babies look lip smackin’ good to a human haha ( clearly these dog food posts have been making quite an affect on me ) Yum!
San Diego-based restaurateur, Terryl Gavre, is no stranger to creating favorite breakfast, lunch and baked treat recipes. The mother of two became a mother of three with a new furry friend and she’s created a woof-tastic doggie bone recipe that will leave your four-legged best friend tail-waggin’ for more! The treats are available at Bake Sale Bakery in East Village. Here is the recipe! Enjoy, woof!
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats (not quick oats)
1/3 cup butter
1 cup boiling water
¾ cup cornmeal
2 tsp. white sugar
2 tsp. beef base or bouillon granules
½ cup milk
1 cup shredded cheese
1 egg beaten
¼ cup flax seeds (optional)
1 tbs. wheat bran
1. Boil water and add bouillon to hot water to dissolve.
2. Place all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Add hot water mixture to dry ingredients and combine.
4. Add egg and cheese last.
5. Roll out to ½ to ¾ inch thick. Cut into desired shape.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until firm and dry to touch.
7. Keep at room temp for 1 to 2 days. Freeze half and thaw as needed.